Be the diver everyone wants to follow and make your sense of direction legendary with the PADI Underwater Navigator Specialty course.
The Fun Part
Finding your way is not a matter of luck! When everyone’s buzzing about a reef or checking out a shipwreck, they’re having a great time – until it’s time to go. Then they turn to you, because as a PADI Underwater Navigator, you know the way back to the boat.
What You Learn
Underwater navigation can be challenging, but in the PADI Underwater Navigator Specialty course, you master the challenge. You learn the tools of the trade, including navigation via natural clues and by compass.
- Navigation patterns
- Natural navigation (without a compass)
- Compass navigation
- How to “mark” or relocate a submerged object or position from the surface
- Underwater map making
- How to follow irregular courses with the Nav-Finder
- Dive site relocation
- How to estimate distance underwater
The Scuba Gear You Use
The Learning Materials You Need
Accurate navigation is based on thoughtful preparation. With that in mind: PADI’s Navigation crewpak includes everything needed to complete the Underwater Navigation specialty. The manual and DVD preview the navigation skills you’ll practice with your instructor both on land and underwater. Use the Nav-Finder to track where you’ve been and chart the most direct route back to the boat or shore.
You must be:
- A PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another organization)
- At least 10 years old